Dec 6, 2011

Handmade Holidays

Every year I make some of the Christmas gifts we give each year.  Sometimes it is a handmade Christmas ornament that I use to decorate a package.  Sometimes a piece of jewelry, a knitted scarf, or a painted picture.  I wish I could tell you what I am making this year, but the recipients may just read my blog, so I better not divulge that secret.  After the holidays, I will have to do show and tell.

Anyway, my point is that handmade Christmas gifts to me are so much more special, because we all know that more time and effort goes into making something by hand.  In an age where everyone has everything they "need", and whatever they "need" can easily be bought at the neighborhood Wal-Mart, a handmade one-of-a-kind gift means so much more.  So before we make out our list and head to Target, think about what we could make for those on our list.  Need a little help?  Here is a list of tutorials to get you thinking:

Rows of Ruffles Scarf Pattern
How to Create Soldered Art Jewelry
Hot Cocoa Cones
Bath Salts Recipe
Cookie and Brownie Quart Jar Recipes
Sewn Felt Slippers
Block Printed Tea Towels
Needle Felted Handmade Pillows

So tell me what are you planning to make this year for those on your Christmas list?

My team mates from the Aspiring Metalsmith Team on Etsy are doing a blog roll on Handmade Holidays.  Take a look at what my they had to say...

Mary Anne Karren - silverpearlmetalworks.wordpress.com/
Jessica @ Abella Blue - www.abellablue.com/blog
Stacy - formandfunktionaccessories.blogspot.com
Elizabeth Brown – resurrectionsilver.blogspot.com
Lilian Genebra - www.girllovesglitter.blogspot.com/
Pennee- All Wired Up Jewelry Designs - allwiredupjewelrydesigns.blogspot.com/
Claire English - brightstar109.blogspot.com/
Nancy - nancysjewelrydesigns.blogspot.com/
Autumn Bradley - www.autumnbradley.blogspot.com
Amy Estelle - amyestellemetalworks.blogspot.com/2011/12/handmade-holidays.html