May 24, 2011

Rhythm and Pattern in Nature

It has been awhile since I've entered a challenge from the aspiring metalsmiths team...actually, I've never entered a challenge...oops.  For this round I've got a whole month during the summer to come up with a piece to depict rhythm.  Not sure why I like this challenge so much as I have a hard time even spelling the word rhythm.  I have no rhythm, but this challenge is open ended enough to artistic interpretation that surely I can come up with something!

When I think of rhythm, I think of music, beats, even poetry.  I've never really thought about the visual aspect of what that would look like.  Repeating intervals of shapes or patterns are what come to mind.  Nature is full of order and pattern.  Here is my visual research for rhythm in nature:

Green Leaf Detail by Petr Kratochvil


Spiders Web by Steve Gibson


Frozen Waterfall by Peter Griffin


Grey Sky by Kim Newberg

Pinecones by Joy Shrader

What do you think of when you think of rhythm in nature?