Jan 18, 2011

The Textures of Israel

I just got back last week from a week long trip or pilgrimage to Israel.  Nothing can be more moving than to visit religious sites that have so much meaning.  I was so inspired by the sights, sounds and rich textures of the country, that I had to share a few photographs that I specifically took for inspiration in my art and jewelry.  I'm not sure what it is about traveling that awakens the creative desires within me.  Maybe it is this very thing of seeing new designs and textures.  Here is just a sample of what I experienced while there.

Pillar capital at the Chapel of the Ascension


Bronze wall art from the Church of Saint Catherine in Bethlehem





Maidenhair Fern from En Gedi





Window at the Church of All Nations at the Garden of Gethsemane 
 
 



I love this door depicting an olive tree at the Church of All Nations
at the Garden of Gethsemane






Mosaic floor at Masada







Door at the Chapel of Mount of Beatitudes
 
 

Pillar capital at Pool of Bethesda



Gate at the Chapel of the Mount of Beatitudes

I'm hoping to do some research on some of the symbolism found in these works, both man-made and God-breathed.  If you find inspiration in any of these photographs and create a work based on them, please feel free to leave a comment with a link to your work. Or if you have something you find inspiring, leave a link.