Dec 22, 2010

Flame Painting on Copper


I've been experimenting again. This time with copper. I made this copper bracelet from patterned rectangular wire. I molded it around a baseball bat (how's that for high tech tools)? Then I filed the edges smooth and polished the areas that were filed to a nice shine. I love the look of copper plain, but wanted to try and get other colors by heat treating it with my torch.



I've only tried this process once. I haven't figured out what exactly causes some of the areas to turn a beautiful blue color. I'm guessing higher heat and longer torching time to be factors. This flame painting process reminds me of watercolor painting. You just never know what you will get when the colors flow. Now I'll try some experiments with lacquers to coat and protect the color.






I'll let you know what I find out. It may help if Santa brought me the following book. Otherwise, I will go this on my own. Stay tuned...