Mar 3, 2010

Spring Colors and Design Ideas

With Pantone's spring color report in hand (see previous post) and Artbead's invitation to create some jewelry pieces for spring, I have to say that I am definitely looking forward to blue skies, crystal beaches and flowers!  I didn't have to look very hard to find beads and other jewelry making items in the Artbeads website that inspired the theme of spring.


The first item that caught my eye was this Paua Shell cabochon.  I didn't realize how wonderful the cabochons were at Artbeads until I started on my metalsmithing journey.  They have some beautiful glass cabs, paua shell cabs and some wonderful cameos.  I should like to try them all! 


To go along with Pantone's top color pick of turquoise, Artbeads also has a great selection of turquoise beads in their Czech glass beads section.  These pictured above are my favorites in the color turquoise.  I especially love the Czech glass flower beads for spring.  Clockwise from the top:  16x12mm Turquoise w/ Picasso Pear Shape Drop ( I wire wrapped this one) , 3x2mm Turquoise Mix w/ Picasso Roundelle, Large Bell Flower Turquoise Luster, Opalite Blue Picasso Roundel, and Turquoise/Gaspeite Mix with Picasso Grooved Rectangle.

Using the colors of turquoise and coral together with flowers, new spring leaves and a bird, I designed this copper toggle clasp beaded charm necklace using a copper dove from Artbead's copper pendant collection.  I designed this necklace with the toggle clasp as part of the design in front making it easy to fasten.


And last but not least, I created this sterling pendant using Artbead's metal stamps and the Opalite Blue Picasso Roundel beads.  I have liked using their stamps which have thin designs because they are easy to get a good impression on your metal sheet.  I have used some stamps that have a large surface area on the design, and I have not been getting a good clean impression because it takes so much more "hammer power". 

Although I have been traveling down the metalsmithing path recently, I can't keep from being drawn to beautiful beads.  With this design, I've been able to incorporate my love of beads with my metalsmithing by riveting the beads to my metal work.  That's what art is all about, isn't it?  Doing what you love and using the materials that inspire you.

Artbeads.com sends me beads to review free of charge. I use these beads in my designs and write a review about them, but I have not been paid for any endorsement. I give my honest opinion on the beads that I receive, so that you, as a reader of my blog, can feel confident in what you order from Artbeads.