Oct 26, 2009

Watercolor Collage Christmas Card

I've been thinking a lot about the holidays, especially the Christmas season. Every year I try to come up with a handmade Christmas card to send to family and friends. In the past, I've done several different styles of cards, and I will be sharing these on future posts.

I wanted to get better pictures of this watercolor collage painting, but with my schedule, I'm afraid if I put it off too long, it would never get done. I would like to create a Squidoo tutorial on how I created this watercolor collage, and if I get the chance to do that, I will shoot better pictures then.

I created this painting using 140# Arches watercolor paper. The dark background was painted first with the background leaves. I then tore the individual top leaves from watercolor paper, painted them separately, and glued them into place along with the center stamen.

For each torn leaf, I made sure that the tear was on the side to be painted so that it added extra texture to the edges of each leaf. The torn leaves on top of the painted background added a 3D look in the depth of the image. I then had color copies made to the size I needed to make my cards. You can get this image on cards, stamps and more on my Zazzle site.

If you have a post on creating handmade Christmas cards, please leave a link to your blog in the comments, I'd love to see them.