Aug 24, 2009

The Movement of Swarovski Crystal

I recently received some awesome Swarovski crystal beads from Artbeads.com a week or so ago. I've been having the most fun with the assortment I ordered. With Swarovski crystal, I really can't go wrong. I've never received any Swarovski products that were flawed or disappointing, and these beads I received recently are no exception. As you move these beads in the light, the facets catch the light and reflect it in every direction. They make beautiful pieces of jewelry!

A few years ago, I had the opportunity to visit a Swarovski crystal store in Vienna, Austria. They had the most extravagant assortment of crystal sculptures and products that I had ever seen, and their beads all have a brilliance and sparkle that only Swarovski can produce.

I ordered bicone beads (always a necessity as spacer beads for my gemstone creations), cube beads, flat backs, flat briolettes, and roundelles. I tried to get an assortment of colors so that I could use them in different designs and with beads and findings that I already had on hand.

Here is what I came up with:


For this bracelet, I used fifteen 6mm Crystal Cube AB beads with gold-filled spacer beads between each cube. Because of the AB coating, it reflects a rainbow of color that adds a lot more sparkle, and also adds to the versatility of the bracelet as it will go with any wardrobe.

For this necklace design, I added the Swarovski flatback rhinestones to a brass dragonfly pendent with jewelry cement. I may add more Czech glass flowers later in the fall orange and yellow colors along the chain or concentrated at the top of the dragonfly.

For these earrings, I used 8mm Faceted Roundelles in Indian Pink with 4mm Swarovski bicones nestled in a brass flower bead cap.

For these I used the 11x10mm Ruby Flat Briolettes and attached them to a sterling chain. I then added some 4mm bicones along the chain in different shade of pink to complement the ruby of the flat briolette.

For these darlings, I used the Swarovski 9x6 Aquamarine Teardrop with a brass flower bead cap and topped it off with a faceted roundelle. I use a lot of the roundelle shaped beads to top off my earrings as they seem to fit most designs better than a round bead.

And last, but not least, I made these dramatic earrings from the 15.4x14mm Flat Briolettes in aquamarine. I'm still practicing my wire wrapping, and didn't feel confident enough to use these beauties that way, so I created these using sterling bead caps that I already had (the pros of having a lot of beads and findings in my collection). I first put flexible beading wire in the hole of the briolette and then I shaped the filigree bead caps around the shape of the briolette with the flexible wire coming through the top of the bead cap. Using a crimp bead and a closed jump ring, I attached the beading wire to the jump ring and covered the crimp with a crimp cover. It made a nice clean design.
Grade Card for the Artbeads.com Swarovski Crystal Collection:

Delivery Time: A+ received items within 4 days of order.
Quality of Product: Swarovski is a very trustworthy name. I know I am buying quality, when I purchase a Swarovski crystal product.
Ease of use: A+ very easy to design with and very versatile. Artbeads stocks a great selection of not only different shapes of beads, but also a great assortment of colors.
Price: A+ I liked the chance to buy beads in the quantity that I need at the time, instead of paying for extras I may not need. Even when buying the beads individually, they are competitively priced.
Artbeads.com sends me beads to review free of charge. I use these beads in my designs and write a review about them, but I have not been paid for any endorsement. I give my honest opinion on the beads that I receive, so that you, as a reader of my blog, can feel confident in what you order from Artbeads.