Aug 4, 2009

New View on Color...Inspiration from Ecuador

I'm not sure what it is about traveling that inspires me creatively. Maybe it is the new sights, sounds and smells. My oldest daughter and I just got back from a mission trip to Ecuador. We spent two weeks loving on the children and their families through Vacation Bible School and street evangelism. On the last day of our stay, we went to the artisan market in the city of Guayaquil. The fabrics and paintings were all made with vibrant, rich colors. It was like walking through a garden in Spring.



I couldn't help but purchase a few items, like this colorful purse and a few colorful woven bracelets.


With the trip still on my mind when I got home, I stumbled upon this book by Shirley Trevena entitled, "Vibrant Watercolours". Her loose style and vibrant use of color made me think of my time in Ecuador. Shirley has filled her book with many of her colorful paintings, along with her thoughts on color. She has a way of simplifying color theory that I like, as well as giving the reader permission to use color straight from the tube. She goes into detail about how she arranges her still life compositions and what she uses for her color inspiration. You can visit her website at: ShirleyTrevena.com. You can order your copy of her books with the links below.