Apr 3, 2009

Busy-ness, Creativity and Inspiration

Photo by Kayla Dowell used with permission

Ever feel like you are doing too much or you need to be in more than one place at one time? The picture above is one my oldest daughter manipulated in Photoshop to show that she CAN be in more than one place at the same time.

I was virtually talking with a virtual friend (so was I talking or not?) on twitter the other day about inspiration and creativity and how it seems that the busier we are, the more our brains come up with ideas to paint, bead, or create. It got me thinking about how our brains are wired and where this inspiration comes from; why we have it some days; why we do not the next day.

It seems to me that the busier my life becomes, the more creative thoughts I have and the more I find inspiration. I think that when I am experiencing a lot of different activity, my brain starts making new connections between the new activity and my art. I believe that keeping your mind active with new information whether through reading, music, or learning experiences gives you more brain pathways to link information you are acquiring with your art.

I did some research on creativity and here are some interesting sites I found:
Creativity for Emotional Intelligence: Ideas and Activities
Ten Steps for Boosting Creativity
Right Brain vs. Left Brain Creativity Test

Be sure and leave your thoughts on creativity in the comments.


The best way to have a good idea is to have lots of ideas. - Linus Pauling