Jan 2, 2009

Garnet Handcrafted Jewelry, the January Birthstone

January is a cold month here in Kansas, but deep red garnets can overcome the cold. Garnets are the official birthstone for January, and I'm listing some jewelry pieces with garnets from both of my shops to help celebrate my birthday coming up at the end of this month.

Garnet is a common silicate mineral that is a relatively sturdy gemstone. Garnets have been found in jewelry of the ancient Egyptians, Greeks and Romans. The name "garnet" comes from the Latin granatus ("grain"), possibly a reference to the Punica granatum ("pomegranate"), a plant with red seeds similar in shape, size, and color to some garnet crystals. The pomegranate is said to symbolize the Christians' hope of resurrection.

These little dangle earrings are made from Rhodonite and garnet. Rhodonite is a rose-pink gemstone with black inclusions called dendrites that complement the round deep-red garnet beads that surround it. These little beauties are found in my Art Fire Shop.


This bracelet is made of gorgeous 6mm round garnet gems. It comes with an adustable sterling silver clasp, with a fine silver flower on one end and a sterling lobster clasp on the other. I also have for sale the matching earrings. Both of these can be found in my Kit and Caboodle Shop. This bracelet and earring set are part of "The Gift" line.

Hey, did I mention that my birthday is in January? I love birthdays - it's a celebration of life!