Jul 28, 2008

In the Depths of the Earth

"In the Depths of the Earth"

Art truly is a lifetime journey. A journey that takes work and time, but an artist never quite reaches their destination. We're always improving on something, or developing those ideas that come to us in the middle of the night. It's never ending. One idea leads to another, then another, then another. Then there are days where no ideas come at all. I've been taking a journey in the last few years with words. Some say a picture is worth a thousand words, but I also think the opposite is true. Words can paint a thousand pictures.


The words that I've been using have been paraphrased scripture verses. It adds more to the meaning of the pieces for me; it is a way for me to connect and share my mental picture with my favorite Bible verses. This visual interpretation of scripture is my way of meditating on God's word. It has become a form of worship like music is to some or prayer or praise to another.

This is my visual interpretation of Psalm 139:13-16. The wording in the tulip's leaves: Your eyes saw my unformed substance as You wove me together in the depths of the earth. This is a 3.5"x5.75" original watercolor on Arches 140# paper. I have it matted in an 8"x10" olive green acid-free mat. I may be making this image available on cards in my Kit and Caboodle Shop. I think it would make a great card for families with new babies.