Jul 30, 2008

The Strength of Faith

"The Strength of Faith"


My youngest daughter, Christine, was hospitalized for a month when she was seven years old with Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome which was caused by E. coli bacteria in her system. The toxins caused her pancreas to shut down, her heart to falter, and her kidneys to fail. We thought we would lose her. But God brought her back to full health, and today she is a thriving 12 year-old.

When we came home after that month ordeal, the columbine were the only flowers growing in my garden. Looking closely, I could see this very small stem courageously holding up this big flower. That's when God spoke to me that faith is much like the stem of that flower. A little faith can do great things. And I think that faith is what kept me sane during that month. Faith that no matter what the outcome of Christine's illness, God would be there to help me get through.

This 3.5"x5.5" watercolor entitled "The Strength of Faith" is dedicated to the nurses and doctors at Children's Mercy Hospital in Kansas City, who were so dedicated to their job of healing. Also to the many people around the U.S. who were praying and fasting for her recovery. Thanks for caring for Christine. God bless you.